Knowing Me Knowing You - March

Gotta love when Shan the Fairy Blogmother comes along to rescue me from blog oblivion with another Knowing Me Knowing You.

1. Do you consider yourself a foodie?

I looked at this question a couple of days ago and my first thought was 'what exactly is a foodie?' Then I read a piece in the paper last night that made it sound like 'foodies' are sort of snobby and elitist about everything they eat - organic this, local that, molecular reduction of the other thing. In that case, I'm most emphatically not a foodie (I kind of hate the word foodie the more I type it). I enjoy cooking and I try to have most of what we eat have ingredients I can pronounce and not have to look up online, but one of my friends the other day says she can't even think about a McDonald's cheeseburger without feeling nauseous and, while I sort of wish I could say the same, I can't (although I do feel dirty inside after I eat one. A little.) We've been doing dinner parties with four other couples where everyone tries to cook something interesting, preferably something they've never cooked before, and that's been really fun (pork belly! celeriac! chocolate meat!).

2. Are you a spender or a saver?

Tough one too. I spend too much on books and clothes for my kids, and groceries when I get away from planning my meals well. I don't enjoy shopping that much, so if I don't go I don't spend -- my husband observed the other day that having pneumonia for a good part of February did wonders for my bank account. Then I went shopping with Pam -- we'll see how happy he is about how much better I'm feeling the next time he checks the bank account balances. I don't enjoy trying on clothes, so if I find something great that fits well, I will buy it just so I don't have to keep trying stuff on. And Angus still gets excited when I buy him clothes and Eve is just so much fun to dress still. The more honest answer is probably that I'm a spender, but I think I'm saving until we get to the end of the month and I try to figure out where all the money's gone.

3. What was the last movie you saw?

The Adjustment Bureau, on a date with my husband. It was okay -- Matt Damon did his customary great job of probably acting a lot like himself, Emily Blunt has a nice screen presence, I love movies based on Philip K. Dick short stories -- the ending was a little trite, but I sort of expected that. Right now I'm listening to my son and my husband guffawing at people getting injured on Home Alone 3. It's a guy thing.




4. What is the closest book to you?

The book at the top of the pile on the table beside me is 36 Arguments for the Existence of God by Rebecca Goldstein, so I can make notes on it before I return it to the library. It was very enjoyable -- I had read a non-fiction book about Spinoza by her and then a novel that I found kind of derivative, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but this book combined her work on philosophy with fiction, and the writing was exuberant and playful, although some of the female characters were a little one-dimensional. Overall I really liked it.


5. Do you celebrate St. Patrick's Day?

Nope. I always mean to, but it frequently falls within March Break, and just gets swallowed up. I didn't even realize it was St. Patrick's Day until I was shopping with my Mom and Eve and they announced it in the Rideau Centre. It's not like my kids really need another reason to eat chocolate anyway. Also, green beer is icky, and leprechauns kind of scare me.

Comments

Wrath Of Mom said…
Leprechauns are scary! The stuff of nightmares. Ditto for green beer.
I don't think a foodie has to be a snob, but a snob can be a foodie.

Here are some definitions I found.

# epicure: a person devoted to refined sensuous enjoyment (especially good food and drink)
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

# Foodie is an informal term for a particular class of aficionado of food and drink. The word was coined in 1981 by Paul Levy and Ann Barr, who used it in the title of their 1984 book The Official Foodie Handbook.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foodie

# a person with a special interest or knowledge of food, a gourmet
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/foodie
Nicole said…
Green beer is revolting. Revolting! And not to worry, according to my five year old, leprechauns do not exist. So we should not be concerned.

I read that piece in the Globe about foodies and I wanted to punch that guy in the face, the one who kept sending back his - whatever fancy thing it was - because it wasn't salty enough. I worked as a waitress once and it is a terrible job (although, it wasn't anywhere that served fancy food but STILL.)
Bridget said…
I wore green on St. Patrick's day but that's the only celebrating I did. Love getting to know you better through these!
Kelly Miller said…
I am not a foodie, spend more than I save (which I hate), last saw The King's Speech (fantastic), and didn't celebrate at all.

Fun post!
The closest book to me is the #2 in the Droon series...which I think I heard about from you...? Maybe? I've been reading it to my son. I think the fact that there are no grown-up books anywhere near me says something about how my days are going.
Angie said…
We didn't celebrate St Patty's day either. Kids didn't even notice.

Stopping by from the blog hop!
http://justwannabeabloggy.blogspot.com/2011/03/knowing-me-knowing-you.html

Popular posts from this blog

Clothes Make the Blog Post

Books Read in 2021: Four-Star YA Horror

Mean Spirits